Posted by lpearle on 1 September 2014
(more from the vault – next month, fresher stuff!)
Books, Reading, Etc.
- New fodder for the annual “Read A Good Movie” display – hoping to also plan some great book-to-movie discussions.
- Great collection of booky news on Book Riot.
- Share these book related tumblrs with your students (maybe they’ll get inspired)
- Working in a high school you need to stay on top of the New Adult genre, right? Here’s a good start.
- I love fairy tale retellings. Stacked has a list I’m dying to tackle.
- Even though we don’t teach diagramming sentences any more, this set of famous first lines may interest students.
- As we talk to students at the beginning of the year, think about how we approach the digital footprint question. And then talk about adjusting their privacy settings.
- 5 Research-Based Tips for Providing Students with Meaningful Feedback – aka “something to remember when research season starts and I’m grading all those bibliographies!”
- Starting to think about how to create good tutorials for our students using the iPad (we’re a 1:1 school). This may help.
- We’re moving to Google mail (not Gmail) to make Google Drive access easier. I’m loving these tips on how to use Drive better!
- Do you teach these 5 Steps to Electronic Notetaking Success? I’m still looking for the perfect online Cornell method app.
- Interactive maps like this one can be replicated by our students for local history, right? What about virtual museums?
- Wondering what will be expected at the next level? ACRL is creating new a information literacy framework. I’ll be watching/learning.
- NAIS lists the 25 Factors Great Teachers Have in Common. Something to ponder as school starts.
- Hugely difficult even for adults: finding information you can trust. Hoping our students know we can help!
- Good advice: think beyond the platform.
- I don’t use Pocket (yet?) but am a fan of Readability. Which do you prefer?
- Great playlist of TED talks on Our Digital Lives.
- Over the years I’ve scooped, livebindered, diigo’d and been delicious… should I now flip?